Ads



Monday, December 8, 2008

New residents and my last 2 weeks

Today I got a whole new group of residents and started my last 2 weeks of my internal medicine rotations. It is really more a week and a half because my last day of rotations is next on Wednesday 12/17 and then I have a day to study and my national shelf exam for internal medicine will be on Friday 12/19. Then I will be off for a couple of weeks before I start pediatrics at a Chicago hospital. 

My senior resident for this next couple of weeks seems to be a little hard core. She is going to be the chief resident next year and has made herself a name amongst the other residents by being rigid. How does this affect me? If we have a slow afternoon or some time available a more relaxed senior resident may say "why don't you call it a day and go home early" and a rigid senior would say "why don't you stay late and write up a report on COPD and present it tomorrow during rounds" This is why students have such variable experiences on their rotations. You could rotate at the same hospital and have 2 different experiences based on who your senior resident is. I have had fairly decent senior residents and great interns up to this point on this rotation. We will have to see how this last couple of weeks go. 

Tonight I have to prepare a presentation  on hypertension and the criteria for diagnosis and treatment. I will give the presentation tomorrow. It should not be too difficult as the subject is not that complex and I have studied and had so many patients that I have treated with hypertension that I should be able to do the presentation without any extra reading. 

2 comments:

Missty said...

Just want to say I LOVE reading your blog! Your sister knew with 4 boys, I would find this stuff facinating! We are always seeing blood, guts, stitches, broken bones, etc! lol Good luck with your continuing rotations, and keep blogging.

JJ said...

Thanks for reading my blog. I enjoy the comments!