Ads



Sunday, October 5, 2008

The surgical ego

After a month and 1/2 in surgery I have developed some interesting thoughts regarding the specialty. Do you know the difference between God and a surgeon? God does not think he is a surgeon. It is amazing how so many surgeons are megalomaniacs. The specialty has many malignant individuals. I am generalizing and there are plenty of exceptions to the rule and humble nice surgeons. Many of the surgeons I have been working with are rude, condescending and basically treat those around them like trash. 

I think there is a certain personality that is attracted to surgery but they are not as malignant when they start. I think that the long hours and the berating they take from their mentor surgeons transforms them into the ego filled physicians they become. Most surgeons I talk to have told me "if you can see yourself doing anything other than surgery, then do it!" Many are not happy with their lives. The hours are long leaving no time for other things and the reimbursement has significantly decreased. 

The surgical subspecialties like ENT and Urology attract a totally different surgeon and seem to have a much better lifestyle. I could see the difference when I worked with ENT. There was no yelling in the OR and the hours were better. Everyone had a life outside of work. 

I like surgery but I am not sure if all the added headaches and malignant people are worth making a career out of it. I am still on the fence.


No comments: